*** Archetypal Approach This approach focuses on connections to other literature, mythological/biblical allusions, archetypal images, symbols, characters, and themes.
1. What archetypal events occur in the story? (Quest? Initiation? Scapegoats? Descents into the underworld? Ascents into heaven?)
2. Does the protagonist undergo any kind of transformation, such as movement from innocence to experience, that seems archetypal?
3. What archetypal images occur? (Water, rising sun, setting sun, symbolic colors)
4. How does the story reflect the experiences of death and rebirth?
5. Finally, what was your group's overall assessment of the novel? Like or dislike? Why?